Hypnosis & Cancer
I’m proud to provide hypnosis services to those with mesothelioma cancer. Initial studies have shown hypnosis to be extremely beneficial for cancer patients and loved ones who battle anxiety, difficulty sleeping, and other secondary symptoms associated with traditional cancer treatments. Aggressive cancers like mesothelioma can have harmful side effects associated with radiation and chemotherapy regimens. Hypnosis has been shown to demonstrate improved capacity to manage these symptoms in mesothelioma patients as well as that of other types of cancer.
For more information, click on the following link for an article on hypnosis and mesothelioma: Hypnosis a Powerful Tool in Complementary Cancer CareYours in Health,Tim Irving DC, MS, LMTOptimum Function: 819 SE Morrison St. ste. 215, Portland, OR, 97215Optimum Function = Optimum Health
It’s the middle of November and it’s time for the Great American Smokeout. This program, sponsored by the American Cancer Society challenges smokers to quit smoking for one day with hopes that is they can quit for one day, they’ll realize they can quit smoking for good.
Quitting smoking is not easy, but it can be done. To have the best chance of quitting successfully, you need to know what you’re up against, what your options are, and where to go for help. click on the above link for the Great American Smokeout for more info on this program. In addition, hypnosis has a 60-70% success rate in helping people quit smoking. My Stop Smoking Portland program includes a phone consultation in which I will help determine the best way to prepare and set your date to quit, schedule your first hypnosis session (very often on the day you’re to quit) and give you a few tools to help you prepare. The preparation phase is VERY important as it helps to modify your behaviors as a smoker and reduce chemical dependency on nicotine. From there, it usually takes 1-3 visits to help permanently ex-sponge this unhealthy and damaging habit from your subconscious mind. Click on the following to learn more about this program:Yours in Health,Tim Irving DC, MS, LMTOptimum Function: 819 SE Morrison St. ste. 215, Portland, OR, 97215Optimum Function = Optimum Health
Have you been thinking about quitting smoking? Have you ever tried to stop smoking before but just didn’t have the motivation or the tools? Here’s an article from WebMD that may help to make your resolve to stop smoking a little more rock solid: Smoking’s Damage Swift, Irreversible.
Do you want to try a therapy to help you stop smoking that’s 60-70% effective with no side effects? Hypnosis can help, I can help…
Click here for more info: Stop Smoking with hypnosis at Optimum Function.Yours in Health,Tim Irving DC, MS, LMTOptimum Function: 819 SE Morrison St. ste. 215, Portland, OR, 97215Optimum Function = Optimum Health
Here’s a chart showing the content of each of these harmful components of popular cigarette brands: Nicotine, Tar, CO Content of Popular Cigarettes
Do you want to stop smoking with hypnosis? Click on the following link to learn more: Stop Smoking With HypnosisYours in Health,Tim Irving DC, MS, LMTOptimum Function: 819 SE Morrison St. ste. 215, Portland, OR, 97215Optimum Function = Optimum Health
Although chiropractors care for more than just back pain, many patients visit their chiropractor looking for relief from back pain. In fact, 31 million Americans experience low-back pain at any given time. (1) In my chiropractic, nutrition, functional medicine and hypnosis clinic in Portland, Oregon, more than half of my patients initially come in to find relief from back pain.
A few interesting facts about back pain:
- One-half of all working Americans admit to having back pain symptoms each year. (2)
- Back pain is one of the most common reasons for missed work. In fact, back pain is the second most common reason for visits to the doctor’s office, outnumbered only by upper-respiratory infections.
- Most cases of back pain are mechanical or non-organic—meaning they are not caused by serious conditions or diseases.
- Americans spend at least $50 billion each year on back pain—and that’s not including time lost from work or the “cost” of being in pain. (3)
- Experts estimate that as many as 80% of the population will experience a back problem at some time in our lives. (4)
What Causes Back Pain?
Your back is a complicated structure of bones, joints, ligaments and muscles. You can sprain ligaments, strain muscles, rupture disks, and irritate joints, all of which can lead to back pain. While sports injuries or accidents can cause back pain, sometimes the simplest of movements—for example, picking up a pencil from the floor— can have painful results. In addition, arthritis, poor posture, obesity, and psychological stress can cause or complicate back pain. Back pain can also directly result from disease of the internal organs, such as kidney stones, kidney infections, blood clots, or bone loss.
Manipulation as a Treatment for Back Problems
Used primarily by Doctors of Chiropractic (DCs) for the last century, manipulation has been largely ignored by most others in the health care community until recently. Now, with today’s growing emphasis on treatment and cost effectiveness, manipulation is receiving more widespread attention.
Chiropractic spinal manipulation is a safe and effective spine pain treatment. It reduces pain, decreases medication, rapidly advances physical therapy, and requires very few passive forms of treatment, such as bed rest. (5)
In fact, after an extensive study of all currently available care for low back problems, the Agency for Health Care Policy and Research—a federal government research organization—recommended that low back pain sufferers choose the most conservative care first. And it recommended spinal manipulation as the only safe and effective, drugless form of initial professional treatment for acute low back problems in adults.6
Tips to Prevent Back Pain
- Maintain a healthy diet and weight.
- Remain active—I can help you restore mobility first then I will help you contract the muscles needed to support and stabilize your back; after that, I will help to design a full-body, functional program to keep you stable, strong and healthy.
- Avoid prolonged inactivity or bed rest.
- Prepare you body for various activities….. even things like gardening! I can help you figure this out
- Maintain proper posture. This will be much easier if your joints and muscles are working correctly
- Wear comfortable, low-heeled shoes. Shoes like crocs, sanuks, and my favorite, Vivo barefoot shoes (I can order these for you, call me)
- Sleep on a mattress of medium firmness to minimize any curve in your spine. Sleep on your side or back, not stomach.
- Lift with your knees, keep the object close to your body, and do not twist when lifting.
- Quit smoking! Smoking impairs blood flow, resulting in oxygen and nutrient deprivation to spinal tissues. I can help with this through clinical hypnosis in Portland
- Work with me to help you make sure your daily activities are performed with good ergonomics.
Once your back pain is gone, I can work with you nutritionally as well to ensure that you reach all of your health and wellness goals. In addition to chiropractic adjustments, Graston Therapy, Kinesiotape, Cold Laser, mobilization and active muscle release are wonderful treatments for back pain that do not involve high velocity movements.
- Jensen M, Brant-Zawadzki M, Obuchowski N, et al. Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the Lumbar Spine in People Without Back Pain. N Engl J Med 1994; 331: 69-116.
- Vallfors B. Acute, Subacute and Chronic Low Back Pain: Clinical Symptoms, Absenteeism and Working Environment. Scan J Rehab Med Suppl 1985; 11: 1-98.
- This total represents only the more readily identifiable costs for medical care, workers compensation payments and time lost from work. It does not include costs associated with lost personal income due to acquired physical limitation resulting from a back problem and lost employer productivity due to employee medical absence. In Project Briefs: Back Pain Patient Outcomes Assessment Team (BOAT). In MEDTEP Update, Vol. 1 Issue 1, Agency for Health Care Policy and Research, Rockville, MD, Summer 1994.
- In Vallfors B, previously cited.
- Time to recognize value of chiropractic care? Science and patient satisfaction surveys cite usefulness of spinal manipulation. Orthopedics Today 2003 Feb; 23(2):14-15.
- Bigos S, Bowyer O, Braen G, et al. Acute Low Back Problems in Adults. Clinical Practice Guideline No.14. AHCPR Publication No. 95-0642. Rockville, MD: Agency for Health Care Policy and Research, Public Health Service, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, December, 1994.
This is a question I receive quite often when potential patients in Portland, Oregon and other places in the U.S. and Canada call me, email me or contact me through the Optimum Function Website.
At Optimum Function, patients not only have access to various chiropractic and soft tissue techniques, they also have access to functional rehabilitation and training that includes kettlebells, TRX suspension systems and body weight exercises. My patients have access to nutritional interventions to decrease pain and inflammation that include diet and lifestyle counseling, body composition analysis, anti-inflammatory supplements, and blood work or other lab work if necessary.
In fact, there are not many chiropractic, nutrition, functional medicine and hypnosis clinics in Portland, Oregon; and even fewer that treat patients from all over the U.S. and Canada. As a doctor, I decided to pursue treatments that allowed me to help my patients from a few different avenues.
- Chiropractic, soft tissue therapies and manual medicine allow me to restore motion in joints and balance tension throughout your body. Techniques used include; Graston Therapy, Kinesiotape, Cold Laser, Electrostimulation, Arthrostim, Vibracussor, Adjusting, Active Muscle Release, and more!
- Functional rehab. and training allows me to “turn-on” the muscles that are your prime movers. After this is done, I can give you full-body functional workouts to help solidify your body’s stability and reduce your risk of re-injury.
- Nutrition and functional medicine allows me to look at and treat your particular chemical and physiological processes. Often, diet, exercise and lifestyle changes are the first line of defense against diseases like type II diabetes, cardiovascular disease, hypertension and obesity
- Hypnosis helped me round-out my treatment paradigm by allowing me to help my patients on a subconscious level, dealing with habits, issues and problems on a level deeper than the conscious mind for long-lasting, effectiveness.
Well, there you have it, at Optimum Function in Portland, Oregon, you get one-on-one treatments that address many of your health concerns. Escape pain and live the life of your dreams!Yours in Health,Tim Irving DC, MS, LMTOptimum Function: 819 SE Morrison St. ste. 215, Portland, OR, 97215Optimum Function = Optimum Health
Hey everyone, I am now on Rate It All.com
Click on the following link to rate me; Optimum Function: Portland, Oregon Chiopractic, Nutrition, Hypnosis and Functional Medicine on RateItAll.comYours in Health,Tim Irving DC, MS, LMTOptimum Function: 819 SE Morrison St. ste. 215, Portland, OR, 97215Optimum Function = Optimum Health
I thought I’d post some interesting facts about the dangerous chemicals in burning cigarettes and also some about how your body heals and more importantly how quickly it heals after your stop smoking.
Some chemicals in a burning cigarette:
- Ammonia: Household cleaner
- Arsenic: Used in rat poison
- Benzene: Used in making dyes, synthetic rubber
- Butane Gas: Used in lighter fluid
- Carbon Monoxide: Poisonous gas
- Cadmium: Used in batteries
- Cyanide: Deadly poison
- DDT: A banned insecticide
- Ethyl Furoate: Causes liver damage in animals
- Lead: Poisonous in high doses
- Formaldehyde: Used to preserve dead tissue
- Methoprene: Insecticide
- Napthalene: Ingredient in moth balls
- Methyl isocyanate: Very deadly chemical
How Does your body heal after you stop smoking and how quickly? Here are some interesting facts gleaned from the American Lung Association and other stop smoking resources.
Within 20 minutes of your last cigarette:
Your blood pressure adjusts to natural levels, pulse rate adjusts to normal levels and the body temperature of the hands and feet increase to normal.
The Carbon Monoxide levels drop to normal and the oxygen level in your blood increases to normal.
Your chance of having heart attack is significantly decreased.
Your nerve endings start to re-grow and the ability to smell and taste improves.
Your bronchial tubes begin relaxing and your lung capacity begins to increase.
2 weeks to 3 months
Your circulation improves and your lung function increases up to 30%.
1 to 9 months
Coughing, sinus congestion, fatigue and shortness of breath decreases. Cilia starts to re-grow and renew in your lungs; increasing the ability to handle mucous and reduces infections.
Lung cancer death rate for average smoker decreases from 137 per 100,000 to 72 per 100,000 people and after 10 years to almost the rate of a person who never smoked.
Pre-cancerous cilia is replaced and other cancers such as those of the mouth, larynx and pancreas are also decreased.
ALL THESE BENEFITS ARE LOST…..IF ONE CIGARETTE A DAY IS SMOKED!
That last little tidbit really suprised me on one hand but knowing how harmful cigarettes are, I should have known. Lastly, remember, your smoking habit is not only harmful to your own health but to anyone who breathes the dangerours smoke from your burning cigarette or the smoke you are exhaling.
Are you ready to stop smoking in Portland, Oregon? Click on the following link wo go to Stop Smoking PDX.com: Stop smoking in Portland, Oregon with Hypnotherapy at Optimum FunctionYours in Health,Tim Irving DC, MS, LMTOptimum Function: 819 SE Morrison St. ste. 215, Portland, OR, 97215Optimum Function = Optimum Health
Well, it’s been a while now since I started doing more traditional hypnotherapy sessions in my Portland, Oregon chiropractic, nutrition and hypnotherapy clinic: Optimum Function. I am amazed at how well it works for smoking, anxiety, sports performance, chronic pain and more!
I am so glad a few patients talked me into setting up a treatment room dedicated to hypnosis. for more information, click on the following links:Yours in Health, Tim Irving DC, MS, LMT, CKTP, GSTM cert, Nutritionist, Hypnotherapist Optimum Function: 819 SE Morrison St. ste. 215, Portland, OR, 97215 Optimum Function = Optimum Health Yours in Health,Tim Irving DC, MS, LMTOptimum Function: 819 SE Morrison St. ste. 215, Portland, OR, 97215Optimum Function = Optimum Health